Cabbage is a seasonal vegetable belonging to the brassicas family. It is related to broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts..
- Studies have shown that cabbage can reduce inflammation in the body. Chronic inflammation can be associated with heart disease, arthritis and Inflammatory Bowl Diseases.
- Cabbage is high in vitamin C which is an antioxidant and helps our bodies absorb iron.
How to Store
- Cabbage is best stored in the refrigerator.
- To store, remove loose leaves around the head, wrap in a moist towel and place in a plastic bag with holes poked in it for air circulation and keep in the refrigerator for three to four weeks.
How to Prepare
- Always wash the vegetable before preparing.
- With a knife, cut the head in half and then quarters. Following this, carve out the thick core (this part can be discarded in garbage or compost).
- You may boil the cabbage in wedges, shred, or simply chop! This vegetable is very versatile.
- There are more than 400 varieties of cabbage.
- The juice from red or purple cabbage can be used as a natural dye for food or fabric!