Onions come from the biennial plant in the amaryllis family. The onion is related to garlic, leeks, scallions, shallots, chives, and Chinese onions.
- Onions are a very good source of vitamin C which promotes immunity and skin and hair health.
- Onions contain phytochemicals which can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Onions have anti-inflammatory properties which provide health benefits.
How to Store
- Onions are best stored in a cool and dry place like a food pantry.
- Once peeled, onions can be stored in the refrigerator for 10-14 days.
- Once sliced, onions can be stored in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.
How to Prepare
- Cut off the top stem of the onion and cut onion in half lengthwise.
- Pull off the papery layers of the onion.
- Once peeled, slice your onion however your recipe calls.
- Onions can be enjoyed raw on salads or sandwiches as well as cooked into dishes.
- Onions have been part of the human diet for 7,000 years.
- The ancient Egyptians worshipped onions. They saw them as a symbol of eternity.