Reduce Hunger and Malnourishment In Your Community AND Help The Environment – In Only One Day
Got more Questions?
Check out our FAQ here.
Spend a few hours just once and help eliminate hunger and malnutrition in your community while improving the environment. It’s as simple as A B C:
Ask a food pantry in your community sign up at AmpleHarvest.org. It’s free!
Food pantries, possibly called “food shelves”, “food closets”, “food cupboards”, “food shares” or even “food banks” in your community, are neighborhood places where people needing help to feed their family can come to get extra food.
Most food pantries do not get fresh food…. only processed and packed food with a significant health and environmental impact.
Food pantries are in nearly every community in America. They can be found in houses of worship, YMCA’s or civic buildings. Of course they may not be easy to find… you may need to call the local house of worship and ask if they have one, maybe ask at your town hall, or possibly call the local United Way office. Ask around.
You can learn more at:
- Once you have found a food pantry, click here and enter their zip code to see if the pantry is listed. If it does appear on AmpleHarvest.org, GREAT! Nothing more to do with that pantry. Start looking for another one in your town.
- If it does not appear, try to call them to see when they are open.
- Print out this flier (Spanish version here)and show it to the food pantry manager. Explain that AmpleHarvest.org is a totally free way to enable local growers to share their harvest with the pantry. Also tell them that they do not need extra refrigeration or storage.
- Also reassure them that they do not need Internet or a computer at the pantry.
- You can also tell them that
-AmpleHarvest.org was created by a CNN Hero
-It is endorsed by Feeding America and its food banks
-It is endorsed by all of the major faith organizations
-It is even promoted by the USDA and the White House
- Urge then to register as soon as possible… It only takes a minute or so. If they have no access to a computer to register, they can use one at the public library or a friends home. Or they can fax back the form you printed for them.
- Do not register a food pantry yourself. We only want to include food pantries that want to be listed on AmpleHarvest.org.
- If they have questions, have them look at a PBS’s “Growing A Greener World” episode at www.AmpleHarvest.org/PBS. It should answer their questions.
- Lastly, ask them if they know of another food pantry in the community that you can also reach out to.
- When you have completed this task, go to
[two_third]Bring AmpleHarvest.org to the growers in your community.
[two_third]Contact your friends nationwide and tell them what you did – and ask them to do it too.
[two_third]Donate excess garden produce from your garden to a nearby food pantry.