Skip To Content

Change starts with you. Sign up today to get involved!

Make a Donation

We recommend calling or emailing the pantry ahead of time to be sure their days/hours of operation have not changed.

Back to All Pantries

Food is Free Tacoma

Our global supply chains for food and other goods are not as stable as we assumed they were. At the beginning of the global pandemic in 2020 we saw empty store shelves and across the board shortages in many grocery stores. Supply chains running from South America and the far east are susceptible to major disruptions from even relatively minor events. Most Americans only have a few days of food on hand. Food chain disruptions can have serious consequences for people in that position. If we look to the previous century and the Victory Garden Movement, we can find a very successful program that was able to produce 40% of the domestic consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables in 1944. That was the height of the movement with an estimated 8 million gardens. The program brought municipalities, social clubs, and schools together with the federal government to encourage and educate gardeners. The World Health Organization recommends each adult eat approximately 1 pound of fresh fruits and vegetables each day. 20% of this works out to about 75 pounds per year per adult. In Tacoma the 20% Initiative would be almost 8000 tons. That’s a big number! We can count all the Puyallup and Orting farms since they would be local. Along with the commercial farms we can also have home gardeners help with achieving our goal. We share 20% of the crop with our garden stewards and share the remaining 80% at our FIG share events in the spring and summer months. We host our FIG share events at local parks with a focus in areas that are known food deserts. This year we are adding 4 more parks in addition to the parks that we shared at last year. These additional parks will be on a new day and time so that people can find a time that works for their schedules.Stewart Heights Park – 5715 Reginald Gutierrez Ln, Tacoma 98404 6-7:30 PM 5/4 6/1 6/29 7/27 8/24 Star Center – 3873 S 66th Street, Tacoma 98409 6-7:30 PM 5/11 6/8 7/6 8/3 8/31 Franklin Park - 1201 S Puget Sound Ave, Tacoma 98405 6-7:30 PM 5/18 6/15 7/13 8/10 9/7 Alling Park – 1134 S 60th Street, Tacoma 98408 6-7:30 PM 5/25 6/22 7/20 8/17 People’s Park – 900 MLK Jr Way, Tacoma 98405 12-3 PM 5/8 6/5 7/3 7/31 8/28 9/25 Jefferson Park – 801 N Mason Ave , Tacoma 98406 12-3 PM 5/15 6/12 7/10 8/7 9/4 Wapato Hills Park – 6231 S Wapato Street, Tacoma 98409 12-3 PM 5/22 6/19 7/17 8/14 9/11 Eastside Community Center – 1721 E 56th Street, Tacoma 98404 12-3 PM 5/29 6/26 7/24 8/21 9/18

This listing was last updated May 17, 2022

Location & Open Times

Mondays
Open 24 hours
Tuesdays
Open 24 hours
Wednesdays
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursdays
Open 24 hours
Fridays
Open 24 hours
Saturdays
Open 24 hours
Sundays
8:00 AM - 11:00 AM

24/7 expect Wednesday and Sunday

Hours are in PDT. Hours updated 19 weeks ago

6515 Tacoma Ave S, Tacoma, WA, USAGet Directions

  • 2536778848

  • Send an Email

  • David Thompson

From the Listing

Use the red bins in the driveway for donations

ProducePedia

ProducePedia is a free resource that covers the types of fresh produce that can be delivered to food pantries. Each entry includes information on color, taste, and possible uses. People unfamiliar with the vegetable or fruit will learn how to use it, and those who are familiar with it still might learn a fun fact or two!

Visit ProducePedia

Did you donate food to Food is Free Tacoma?

  1. 01

    DocumentSend us a photo of your donation

    We'd love to see what you donated to this pantry!

    Send Photo
  2. 02
  3. 03

    Write offPrint a Tax Receipt

    Your donation is tax deductible! Print a PDF tax receipt where you can itemize your donation.

    Print Receipt
  4. 04

    Tell Us About ItSend us feedback on the donation experience

    We want to hear from you about how your experience was at this particular pantry.

    Send Feedback

State Cooperative Extension Web Sites

The Cooperative Extension sites have a wealth of information for any backyard gardener. Once you go to the site (each one if very different from the others) look for a link for “homes and gardens”, “landscape”, “consumer horticulture”, etc. to find information on improving your backyard garden. Neighboring state sites may offer information your own state’s site lacks.

Visit Site

Get Involved

You can help alleviate hunger and improve the health of your community

Make a Donation
More Ways to Support
Information out of date?
Let us know!

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.