AmpleHarvest.org – An Efficient Solution to Food Waste
You’ve heard the expressions “Save The Food” or “Food Waste?” What’s that all about?
According to the USDA, 40% of our food worth an estimated $161 billion was never harvested, lost in processing, thrown away in restaurants and homes or ended up rotting in America’s landfills and according to the Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC) 2012 and 2017 reports, 50% of our produce is never consumed. Meanwhile, millions of Americans are not sure where their next meal is coming from. These two related issues can be solved simultaneously with your help!
Disparities in food distribution and availability mean that many communities and neighborhoods have very limited access to fresh affordable food. And many of those with an abundance of food choose to toss it rather than donate it. An excellent look at this issue is available in the Huffington Post article by Steven Finn, Lauren Goldberg and Gary Oppenheimer.
Another form of food waste comes from produce discarded by millions of backyard gardeners (estimated to be more than 11 billion pounds according to analysis by Cisco Systems) due to their gardens producing far more fruits and vegetables than they could possibly use, preserve or give to friends and neighbors. It is not uncommon for tomato plants to bear 20 to 40 or more fruit each. Many other crops (like peppers, cucumbers, squash, citrus, apples, and peaches, etc.) also produce abundant harvests.
There is a much better use for that extra of food!
AmpleHarvest.org can help America recover half of that – enough to feed almost 14 million people per year – food that is locally grown and freshly harvested. Food that used to be wasted and can instead help hungry families in the community.
AmpleHarvest.org makes you a part of the solution to food insecurity and food waste in America by helping you donate it to one of 8,433 local food pantries that have joined with AmpleHarvest.org. They need your help
- Donate fresh produce to a food pantry near you. Find one here.
- Grow excess garden produce to help alleviate hunger.
- Make a generous tax deductible donation to AmpleHarvest.org as we increase our reach.
- Click here to read more about Hunger in America and to learn about the different ways that you can help.
- Find a Food Pantry where you can donate your excess produce.
- If you are a Home Gardener, click to learn more.
- If you are a Farmer, click to learn more.
- Click here to Support to AmpleHarvest.org
- If you are hungry and in need of food, please click here!