The nation, along with the rest of the world, is facing a monumental crisis. And like similarly scary and challenging times in history, it will be addressed by the collective efforts of all people. That’s why we’re teaming up with Bonnie Plants to address some of the overwhelming demands being put on food pantries nationwide by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our partnership has the potential to make a real difference in this period in our country. Together we can inspire neighbors to help neighbors by growing their own backyard #VictoryGarden.
The action we’re asking everyone to take is simple, but powerful; we are encouraging all gardeners to grow more than ever this spring and then to bring the yield of their victory gardens to a local food pantry, using AmpleHarvest.org to find the best location for them. In this way, we can make it possible for the fresh vegetables that are grown locally to help nourish those in the same community, with results that are felt nationally.
- Check out the many helpful gardening articles on bonnieplants.com
- Get a jump start on your garden growth by ordering starter plants from Bonnie Plants (They’re donating 5% of all online plant sales from May 1 through July 31, to AmpleHarvest.org.)
- Use our search tool to look for a pantry near you. If you know of a food pantry in your area, ask them to connect with AmpleHarvest.org if they haven’t already.
- Expand your garden and donate the extra produce to your local food pantry.
- Share what you are doing on social media and tag Bonnie Plants and AmpleHarvest.org
Bonnie Plants and AmpleHarvest.org are leading the charge with donations from their own gardens. AmpleHarvest.org employees in New Jersey and Illinois are readying their gardens, and Bonnie Plants test gardens in Union Springs, Alabama and in Marysville, Ohio have already been repurposed as giving gardens. All of the expected 5,000+ pounds of food grown there will be donated straight to local food pantries in their respective communities.
Our ambitions are as high as our hopes. Every home gardener, including you, has the amazing power to change lives with some plants, soil, sunlight, water, and love. Won’t you join us and help us reach our goal of delivering 10 million pounds of fresh produce to those who need it most?
AmpleHarvest.org is a non-profit organization that makes it easy for gardeners to donate fresh produce to local food pantries. All donations are tax-deductible and go directly to increasing food security in your community.