AmpleHarvest.org – More than just a great idea!
When I tell people about AmpleHarvest.org and our mission, the typical response is usually: “That’s such a great idea!” And my response back is that AmpleHarvest.org is more than just a great idea; we are a MOVEment! A movement to reduce food waste and hunger by changing the mindset of how we think about donating food – especially fresh food donations to local food pantries and other non-profit agencies.
Here’s why I say AmpleHarvest.org is a MOVEment and more than just a great idea. The definition of a movement is roughly a group of people working together to advance their shared ideas. Now take look at the pictures at the end of this post – these are all pictures of fresh produce donations to food pantries from gardeners all across the country, as well as, from the staff at AmpleHarvest.org! It is a true testament of this “MOVEment” – folks collaboratively putting this great idea that is AmpleHarvest.org into motion and sharing our excess with those in need while also reducing food waste!
Even if you don’t have a garden or weren’t able to share any of your harvest and you are reading this, YOU are part of this movement! The more each of us talks about AmpleHarvest.org with our families, co-workers, neighbors….
- The more we can teach people about how they can connect with their local food pantries and share their abundance with their neighbors in need.
- The more people utilizing AmpleHarvest.org to locate a pantry when they harvest more than they could possibly use, to help their neighbors in need.
- The more people looking to AmpleHarvest.org when they over purchase produce at the grocery store and want to share it instead of tossing it in the trash.
- The more people telling farmers at the end of farmer’s markets that AmpleHarvest.org can help them find a local agency where they can donate any extra produce at the end of the day.
- The more people telling their local food pantries or other non-profit food assistance programs that AmpleHarvest.org is a free way for them to connect with local gardeners and growers.
- The more people telling their gardening friends that fresh produce CAN be donated and they should find a food pantry near them by using AmpleHarvest.org to make that connection that will hopefully last throughout their gardening lifetime!
- The more people using AmpleHarvest.org to locate a pantry after they’ve had a celebration or event and realize they have way more food leftover than they could use, so why not donate any up opened or unused items instead of having it go to waste.
- The more people choosing to create beautiful centerpieces for holiday and other festive gatherings that can grace the tables at your event one day and feed a family (or families) the next (link to Centerpieces for pantries)
- The more people engaging in discussions about food waste and the moral and environmental implications of trashing perfectly good food instead of donating it to an agency that will help feed people.
- The more people being aware that AmpleHarvest.org is a free resource for all the aforementioned reasons to reduce food waste and help get people fed!
This is a MOVEment – WE are a MOVEment – not only just a great idea! And a movement begins with folks like you and me leading by example – sharing what we have, when we can and telling others they can too! Be a part of our MOVEment by clicking here to find out how.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only that ever has.” Margaret Mead