Please note that your food pantry may not immediately appear online. All registrations are reviewed first. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to AmpleHarvest.org
Congratulations! Your food pantry is now included in a nationwide directory of food pantries which millions of gardeners can use to find you when they have extra garden produce available to share.
- Please write down the user name and password you entered a moment ago when you set up your account. Let someone else in your organization know where you put this information. They’ll need it if the page needs to be updated and you are not available.
- We’d love to learn a bit more about your food pantry. Please take a moment to complete this quick survey to help us make our program the best it can be for you and your pantry clients.
- If you have not yet done so, you are strongly encouraged to read the Frequently Asked Questions page. This contains a lot of helpful information.
- Print out a poster telling your clients and community that you are an AmpleHarvest.org Registered Food Pantry. Print a vertical poster or print a horizontal poster.
How You Can Help Us Help You
According to a 2014 study by the National Gardening Association, an estimated 42 million people were growing vegetables, fruit and herbs in their gardens. Today, its more than 61 million gardeners across America.
We work very hard to inform as many of these gardeners as possible about donating their extra garden produce to a food pantry like yours. Our outreach has involved support from Google.com, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Master Gardeners, numerous bloggers, and media outlets.
There are also a number of things that you can do to help inform the gardeners in your community.
- Send an annual announcement to the local press announcing your participation in AmpleHarvest.org. A sample press announcement is available for your use.
- Let other food pantries and similar agencies in your area know about AmpleHarvest.org. You may want to email information about AmpleHarvest.org to these neighboring pantries.
- If you have friends or family who work in the media anywhere in the country, encourage them to visit our press and media page. It is an excellent starting point for a reporter doing a story on hunger in America and AmpleHarvest.org.
- Encourage your staff to share the information about AmpleHarvest.org with their friends and family.
- Most importantly, please print out the flier called Informing the Gardener and ask your staff to take it to local garden shops, hardware stores, garden centers in “big box” stores, etc. and ask that it be posted. You can also post it on the public bulletin board at a grocery, library, social hall, house of worship, etc.
- Reach out to civic leaders, clergy and others, and ask them to pass the word too. Encouragement from a political leader or in a sermon can have far reaching benefits.
- Student groups, scout troops, and other social and service organizations can also help spread the word to gardeners and other donors, both locally and nationwide.
- Although many people cannot garden in the winter months, that does not mean they cannot help your pantry. List the store bought items you most need in the “Additional Information” field on the site. Update it as often as needed.
Most Americans know that hunger is a serious problem in the country, but because of their own economic circumstances, they are often unsure of what they can do about it. AmpleHarvest.org enables Americans to help their neighbors by reaching into their backyards instead of their back pockets.
It is a simple, green, and free way to help diminish hunger in America.
Updating or Revising Your Information
If you ever need to revise your pantry information, log back into your account a make any changes you need. (Important note: If you see the phrase Log Out on the top left portion your screen above the green rectangle, click on it first before proceeding to log in again.)
- Enter your user name and your password on the left side of the screen and then press the Log In button.
- If you forgot your password, click on “Forgot your password?”. A new window appears asking for your email address. It must match the email address used when your pantry was registered. You will shortly receive an email with a new password. You should use it to log in and reset the password to one you will more easily remember.
- Once your pantry information is displayed, you may make the desired changes to any information appearing in the pale green shaded area.
|The Street Address field should contain ONLY the street address of the pantry – no P.O. Box numbers, no floor numbers, etc. All words should be spelled out. AmpleHarvest.org uses Google Maps to help gardeners locate your pantry. If Google Maps does not recognize your address, it will not process properly. If you are in doubt, go to http://maps.google.com/ and enter your street address followed by your zip code (i.e. 123 Main Street 10024). If Google Maps shows your location properly, enter it into AmpleHarvest.org. Otherwise, try testing a variation of your address. For example, if 10 2nd Av does not work, try 10 Second Ave instead.
Always include your area code with your telephone number and fax number.
Uploading an outside photograph of your food pantry is a great way to help gardeners find your building when they come to make a donation. The photograph must be a JPEG file no larger than 1000 pixels by 1000 pixels. Click here to see an example of a food pantries photograph.
You can use the Additional Information field to tell more about your pantry. Many food pantries use this field to list store bought items they urgently need. Come back to update this information as often as you like. This is the best way to keep your community informed about your pantries particular needs.
Don’t forget to press “Update” to complete the changes.
Make sure that you keep all of your information up to date. If the name, address, phone number or any other information about the pantry changes, update the information on AmpleHarvest.org too. Accurate, up-to-date information is important if you want donors to reach you.
You can invite another food pantry to learn about AmpleHarvest.org by entering their email address under the “Refer A Pantry” section and pressing “Refer”.
Additional information describing how AmpleHarvest.org works is available at AmpleHarvest.org/help